In Work Credit

In work credit is a fixed tax free payment of £40 per week (£60 per week in London).

You need to be:

  • Bringing up children on your own
  • Starting work of at least 16 hours per week
  • Expect the work to last 5 weeks or more


You must also have been getting Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance (or a combination of these benefits) for at least 52 weeks or more without a break.

If you’re entitled to In Work Credit you need to claim it before you start work FREEPHONE 0800 353530.

This benefit has now changed FREEPHONE 0800 353530

Someone asked me if the In Work Credit was still available. It is . There are two different credits.

Return to Work Credit – for those with a health condition or disability

In Work Credit – for those without a health condition or disability.

This is from the Direct Gov website …

Return to Work Credit is a tax-free payment of £40 per week for people that have, or have had, a health condition or disability.

It can be payable for up to 52 weeks as long as:

  • your job is expected to last at least five weeks
  • you are working on average over 16 hours a week
  • your gross earnings do not exceed £288.46 per week, or £1,250 per month
  • you are earning at least the National Minimum Wage
  • you have been getting an incapacity benefit for 13 continuous weeks or more
  • you have started work or will be starting work within the five-week period immediately after being entitled to a qualifying benefit
  • you meet any other relevant requirements

You might not qualify if you claim either of the following benefits in the five weeks before starting work:

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support as a lone parent

Changes to Return to Work Credit will be brought in for new claims to benefit from July 2013 onwards. This means there will be no new payments of Return to Work Credit from 1 October 2013.

Payments already in place on 1 October 2013 will continue for up to 52 weeks, as long as you meet the rules for getting the payment.

So in short its still available till 1 October 2103 and to claim it you have, or have had a health condition.

But this is In work credit . There is another benefit called In Work Credit. 

In Work Credit is a tax-free payment of £40 per week (£60 in London) for parents bringing up children alone. It is payable for up to 52 weeks on top of your earnings.

Who is eligible

If your benefit claim begins before 1 October 2012 you may get In Work Credit if you:

  • are bringing up children on your own
  • have a child living with you who is under the age of 16
  • are starting work of at least 16 hours a week on average and getting a wage or salary that meets the National Minimum Wage (or you’re self employed)
  • expect that work to last five weeks or more

Find out what the National Minimum Wage rates are by using the following link.

You must also have been out of work for at least 52 weeks before you start work and getting:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

ESA will only count if you:

  • lost entitlement to Income Support due to the age of your youngest child
  • were unable to claim Jobseeker’s allowance because you were ill

If you live in London and get the following benefits you could also get In Work Credit:

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • ESA
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Carers Allowance

Changes to In Work Credit will be brought in for new claims to benefit from October 2012 onwards. This means there will be no new payments of In Work Credit from 1 October 2013.

Payments already in place on 1 October 2013 will continue for up to 52 weeks, as long as you meet the rules for getting the payment.


  1. Tracy says

    Hi I have been claiming the in work credit or back to work credit as it is apparently known as now for 5 months. I have had to change my bank account and wanted to contact them in regards to the new details. This is proven harder than extracting blood from a stone?! Please could you help me with a telephone no.


    • Nazieya hussain says

      The number for in work credit is 01900 608 812 it took nearly ten calls to 0845 numbers to get it but then they handled my enquiry well hope this helps

      • says

        hi there the number that is stated on here 01900 608 812 is only if u live in Cumbria and lanc … best way on getting the correct number is via your local job centre .. poor office is getting constant calls from all over the country

  2. Tracy says

    Hi been in touch with the jobcentre several times no luck been into the jobcentre in shrews and spoke one of the managers was given the tax credits no and they were no help? Was also given the inland rev no lol… no one seems to know nothing about it. Was also told today that it was called return to work credit….thats not true either as that is to do with long term disability and coming back to work from that???

    • Confessions of a single mum says

      Have you looked at the contact details on the letters that would have been sent to you telling you what they were going to be paying you etc ? There will be contact details on there.

      • Tracy says

        Will have to have a look for it. I just had one from them asking for payslips to proove Im still working and instead of sitting down and writing a quick not of attachment I shuved the letter in with the payslips GRRR. Thanks for the reply – hopefully they will send in back with the payslips?

  3. Anne says

    I started work last May after being on benefits for over 15 months. I knew nothing of this IN WORK CREDIT. I have been trying to claim the money since Feb but as I did not claim within 5 weeks of starting work I am on longer able to get this. I DID NOT KNOW anything about this so can someone please explain how to claim for something when you dont know what it is ……….
    I am at my wits end now as the money would have been a god send and paid for my travel into London every week

    • Muslimah says

      Hi Anne.. In reply to your qs, i also had no idea about In work credit and found out about it a year later after i had started work. However, i have contacted my local jobcentre, made an appointment with a personal advisor,i completed the form for the in work credit because it was their job to inform me and since they didnt they had to accept the claim. So then my local jobcentre submitted my claim to the IWC team, theyve prcessed my application, i sent them payslips.. and a week later i recieved my money!

  4. judy says

    hey just wondering if you are still able to claim this credit as a single parent or has this stopped now? on local hmrc website its says you must have a health issue?

  5. Debbie says

    Hi, my in work credit ends in December. I will be short of £240 per month. Will this be compensated in anyway i.e. housing benfefit or working tax credits. I am worried how I will find this amount towards my rent ??

    Many thanks Debbie

    • Confessions of a single mum says

      Depends on your circumstances but I would ring holding benefit and check with them and rsc credits too. You can also check the benefit calculator at turn2us.

  6. sarah says

    After being on jsa for 18 months I was then referred on the work programme, but found a job myself so signed off at the job centre. I started work in August 2012, I knew nothing about this credit until a work colleague in a similar situation to myself told me about it. I went to my job centre asked about this. they told me it was the responsibility of the work programme coz that’s who I’d been referred to. To which the work programme told me was the responsibility of the job centre. who then told me it was too late to now apply for . how do you apply for things u do not know about. I am now seeking advice and feel very positive reading these comments

  7. says

    I’m hoping somebody knows who I should call about “In work credit”. I signed off benefits on 16th Sep. and was told I was entitled to the £40/week in work credit, forms filled in & left with the job centre. I was told it takes about four to six weeks for the claim to go through, so now it is six weeks and I haven’t received anything, so I called them today on 0845 608 8554. That turned out to be the national number for UK and I was told I need to speak to the main job centre for my area. They gave me the number to dial, 0845 604 3719. They told me that I need to speak to my local job centre, so I called them on the local direct line number I have for the advisor who has been helping me whilst unemployed. All she could tell be was that the forms had been sent off to the main job centre, who handle the in work credit. She also told me that the local job centre used to handle the claims but no longer do. She gave me a number to call, 0845 608 8545. I called the number and spoke to a lady who told me I need to speak to my local job centre. I told her I’m caught in a circle being passed around with nobody seeming to know who deals with in work credit claims, to which she apologised and told me to try calling again later. My next step is to write to them, but which address? There’s no point going to my local job centre because they will only tell me what they told me over the phone. I’m trying to get a business started that will take anything up to six months before I can draw a salary, so I need the £40 to pay towards my rent. I’ve already received a formal letter telling my to pay up my rent arrears. I guess CAB could help but that’ll be £5.60 just to get there and hope to be seen to before they close.

    So, if anyone has any useful phone numbers or addresses for the department that deals with in work credits for Pembrokeshire in Wales, please let me know. I’m bookmarking this page to check back over the next few days.

    Thank you to ‘Confessions of a single Mum’ for this blog and allowing me to comment here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge