I got so fed up with the amount of time my kids spent on the computer and playstation that I devised a way to limit it. I didn’t do anything mischievous like turn the wifi box off (though I confess I have done this on occasion). Instead a devised a way that reduced their time on the computer and playstation but they were in control.
I made mums money vouchers. I was telling another mum about them and had the brain wave of making some and putting them up on my craft site. You can get your Mums Money over at Karoove.
- First work out how much time your child spends on the computer or playstation.
- Then work out what you think is acceptable.
- Print off enough vouchers to cover the time.
- On a set day, dish out the vouchers for your child to spend throughout the following week. ( I said to mine they could spend the vouchers whenever they wanted. If they spent them all in one day that was fine but I wouldn’t be dishing out any more till the set day the following week. )
- Then on the same day the following week dish out the vouchers again.
There are bonus vouchers that you can give out when you want to reward ( or bribe ) your child and you can always take vouchers away for bad behaviour.
My two were between 10 and 14 when I started this and it wasn’t long before they realised how much time they were wasting on the computer and started to manage their online and gaming time better. So much so we stopped using them.
Mums Money saved me so many arguments on computer and playstation usage; I hope it helps you too.