Online dating has certainly had a boom since we all discovered the internet. Before online dating, meeting your perspective other half would have involved getting dressed up, going out to a place where lots of people gathered and then checking out the possibilities. Joining a dating agency wasn’t talked about and anyways it was for desperate old men right? But nowadays, people are hearing about others who have found their life partner online and are anxious to give it a try themselves.
There are several positive features about online dating:
- The online dating sites can allow people to ‘meet’ people they would have otherwise not had the opportunity to meet.
- Many sites offer some form of compatibility survey or profile, and with that profile to use as a foundation, the dating prospects are often easily narrowed down. Your future date is not just some random person that you happen to meet at a party or a club. Compatibility is more likely because of this foundation.
- There is no fear of blatant rejection which could happen in face to face situations. The participants in online dating can browse the profiles of people to find someone who, based on the details supplied, would appeal to them. You will also have an idea of what the person looks like as most will post a photograph.
- There are no geographical limitations. The online dating site members could potentially meet someone from the other side of the world.
- No need to dress up and brave the bars in the evenings.
- Online dating is available 24 hours a day, so whatever time zone you live in there will always be interesting people to chat to.
- There is undisputable proof that online dating works for a lot of people and even if you don’t manage to find your ideal mate, you will still make some good friends.
There are also negative features relating to online dating:
- There is no way of knowing if the photo posted is that of the person who posted it or if it is a photo taken ten years ago, before the person put on an extra 60lbs!
- There are a higher percentage of men than women who join the online dating sites.
- You have no way of knowing if the profile is accurate regarding their marital status. It is easy to say you are single when in reality your spouse is out at work or in bed watching football.
- If you do meet someone online that you would like to meet in person, it could prove a major obstacle if that someone lives in other part of the world.
- There are some spammers who join the free online dating sites just to get information from people and use this information to try and scam them out of money.
After considering all the arguments for and against online dating; consider the fact that it is the fastest growth industry online today. Many people have found their life partner online and you could too.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from me plus a pack of freebie PDFs to help you