So the Met office has uttered the word ‘snow’ and we have weather predictions left and right claiming arctic blasts, severe weather and yetis. Ok maybe not the yetis. But it is definitely colder. I know I am not the only one who hasn’t got the heating on permanently and won’t be able to because its too expensive. Blankets are out. Layers are on. Candles dug out. Yes candles, not in case the lights go but its surprising how much heat they give out.
There is help for some people with the Warm Home Discount Scheme. For winter 2015 to 2016 you could get £140 off your electric bill. You don’t get the money direct in your hand as its a one-off discount paid usually between September and March.
Not everyone can get it . You qualify if on 12 July 2015 any of the following applied to you..
- your electricity supplier was part of the scheme
- your name (or your partner’s) was on the bill
- you were getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (even if you get Savings Credit as well)
If none of those applied to you , you can apply directly to your electric supplier is you are on a low income or you get certain means tested benefits. You need to check with your supplier.
- British Gas
- Co-operative energy
- EDF Energy
- Equipower (Ebico)
- Equigas (Ebico)
- First Utility
- Manweb – see ScottishPower
- M&S Energy
- Sainsbury’s Energy – see British Gas
- Scottish Gas – see British Gas
- Scottish Hydro
- Southern Electric
- Utility Warehouse (PDF, 213KB)
Check out of your supplier is in the scheme and if you can apply.